Sunday, January 23, 2011

"Charity Never Faileth" take away application

Today at church the 4th Sunday lesson was from the talk by President Monson in October 2010 RS General Conference titled, "Charity Never Faileth". The teacher did a great job presenting the lesson.

One reason why this lesson was hitting home to me was because of what I got to witness the past Friday night at the grocery store.... Sydney and I were checking out at the register. I was paying. When I turned to check on Sydney, she was looking at the elderly lady sitting in one of those mobile wheelchairs that had just pulled up behind us in line. Then I heard Sydney asked the lady if she could help her get the groceries out of the basket and onto the register belt. Sydney saw a need and she acted. She demonstrated charity. She was a great example to what charity is that I recalled as the lesson began on charity. She has more charity traits as do we all, we just all need to develop them.

So, I am going to share some of the important items that the teacher gleaned from the lesson and what I found important.....

None of us is perfect. I know of no one who would profess to be so. And yet for some reason, despite our own imperfections, we have a tendency to point out those of others. We make judgments concerning their actions or in actions.

There is really no way we can know the heart, the intentions, or the circumstances of someone who might say or do something we find reason to criticize. Thus the commandment: “Judge not.”

I feel this is so very important that we not judge people. She had us read Matthew 7:1 that says, "Judge not, that ye be not judged." It's important to remember this and use in our lives. Quoted in this talk is one of my idealized people that have leaved on this earth, Mother Teresa. Mother Teresa stated this following profound truth: "If you judge people, you have no time to love them."
There is a serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere.
Sydney was an demonstrating charity in action Friday night at the grocery store. It is my hope that the next time there is a need that it won't go unnoticed by myself.

Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to attributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others.

This made me think that I need to have more charity (patience) with Sydney when she is frustrated and working on her communication and figuring out her feelings. I am glad to have had this lesson today. It is always great to be reminded that we are all learning to be better people in our lives. At least that's my goal and many of the people that I know similar goal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful words to start my week. Thanks and be sure to tell Sydney that I am so proud of what she did to help the little lady at the store. We could all take a lesson from her.
Odie