Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Quote from "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl

From the author's preface to the 1984 Edition
"Again and again I admonish my students both in America and Europe:
'Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it.'
For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it. I want you to listen to what your conscience commands you to do and go on to carry it out to the best of your knowledge. Then you will live to see that in the long run--in the long run, I say--success will follow you precisely because you had forgotten to think of it." pp. 16-17. Here is where I found the summary of "Man's Search for Meaning".
I heard this quote today while listen in my Auto University... Downloaded from www.learnoutloud.com that came from the audio read of "50 Things To Do Today" by Brian Johnson. (summary on this coming up next)

As I work on being a better leader, this came to me as I have shared with my team that you have to focus on the right objective and if it is to just make sales and not caring about the people you serve then you will fail.

No comments: