Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dogwood's, Flies, Soda, FHE

Dogwood Tree: It is springtime and one of my favorite visual is the Dogwood tree. I love it's blooms and so glad that I have one in my backyard. When I see the dogwood tree, it brings back two memories. 1) the legend of the dogwood (see below) 2) ROCK EAGLE 4-H Camp where I would spend my Springs doing District Project Achievement and State Board Activities. Because it was Spring we would always have the Dogwood Tree Blooming when I would go up there with my Muscogee County group.

Dogwood Legend
The Bible does not tell us what type of wood the cross Jesus was crucified on was made of. Roman history does not go into specifics as to how the crosses were made or what type of wood was used. There is a legend that the cross was made of dogwood. This is unlikely considering the typical size of a dogwood tree. The legend of the dogwood tree, author unknown, is as follows:

In Jesus' time, the dogwood grew
To a stately size and a lovely hue.
'Twas strong and firm it's branches interwoven
For the cross of Christ its timbers were chosen.
Seeing the distress at this use of their wood
Christ made a promise which still holds good:
"Never again shall the dogwood grow
Large enough to be used so.
Slender and twisted, it shall be
With blossoms like the cross for all to see.
As blood stains the petals marked in brown
The blossom's center wears a thorny crown.
All who see it will remember Me
Crucified on a cross from the dogwood tree.
Cherished and protected, this tree shall be
A reminder to all of my agony."

Again, this is just a legend. It is a nice poem, but there is no biblical basis to it.

Flies: Now that I wrote of a love there is a hate that comes with Spring. That would be the Flies that grow outside and when we leave the doors open to let the nice Spring air in we get the gross flies zooming into the house. So, I stand with fly swatter in hand most of my days when I am at home. 1 fly, 2 fly 3 flies dead! Good ridden.

Soda: Many of my family knows how much I love Diet Mountain Dew. Since I've been focusing on drinking two liters of water a day the last month it had reduced my consumption of sodas. I would finish a case of sodas in two or three days. There has been a case in my refrigerator for three weeks now. Yesterday, Sydney and I stopped for a drink and I bought a 20oz Diet Mountain Dew. I didn't finish it until today. The very surprising factor in all of this is that I haven't had a single headache from caffeine withdrawals. Yeah!

FHE: Now this is special! Yesterday, Sydney and I had our FHE. On the way home from Perry, FL I told her that she was responsible for FHE tonight. When we got home, she went straight to her room and prepared. She prepared better than I have done in a while. She had visual aids and scripture references. Her lesson was on Joseph Smith. She took her church pictures and told a story about how he started his search all the way to the translation of the Book of Mormon. She used one of my magnet boards to display the pictures. She had 5 or so pictures that she explained. She used the "52 weeks of quick Family Home Evenings" and did a tremendous job! After her lesson, she and Lailani (who had come over to visit for a little bit) played Memory. This means Sydney passed off one of her Achievement Day Goals.

No comments: